Wednesday, June 24, 2009

It's not like years ago

So I can't sleep again. I just got back from seeing Transformers 2. I love driving late at night; I guess I just love being up late. But I love the feeling of knowing that no one else in the car is going to bother you. They might be asleep they might not, but you know the won't say anything. It's these moments when I enjoy listening to my love songs. I have a select few songs that have special significance to me. Aside from being amazing pieces of music, and being the perfect sound for the moment, these songs remind me of who I really am. I am not the kind of person who wants to watch two giant alien robots fight each other. I am the kind of person who would rather watch a movie that believes what I do about movies. I believe that movies are the ultimate art form. they encompass almost all others. The cinematography should reflect an effort to portray the movie the way a photographer would. The Story telling should be just as well developed and thought out as any novel. The soundtrack should strive to shape the feelings of the listener. And that's just the beginning. I'm not saying that transformers was a bad movie, but to say that I enjoyed it would not be true to myself. Movies are not meant to merely entertain. Yet millions of people a will pay ten bucks to sit in a theater and turn their brains off for an hour and a half. Art should stimulate, not entertain.

Getting back to my love songs, I call them that because I love the way they help me get in touch with what i really believe. It's as I go through life and I collect all this crap and dirt on myself. but these songs strip it all away. They leave me raw, pure, and true to myself.

If you want to take a listen to them here are a few:

My Lady's House - Iron & Wine
More Than Life - Whitley
The Crane Wife, Part 3 - The Decemberists
Black River - Amos Lee
Nightswimming - R.E.M.
Green Eyes - Coldplay

No comments:

Post a Comment